About FlexSim as a 3D Simulation tool
FlexSim is a powerful analysis tool that helps engineers and planners make intelligent decisions in the design and operational areas. With FlexSim Simulation, the 3D simulation of a real-life system is easy. Furthermore, you can study and analyze that system in a shorter time frame and it is cheaper than the actual system.
As a “what-if” analysis tool, FlexSim provides quantitative feedback on a number of proposed solutions. This subsequently helps in quickly narrowing in on the optimum solution. With FlexSim’s realistic graphical animation and extensive performance reports, identifying problems and evaluating alternative solutions certainly takes less time. By using FlexSim modeling a system before building it, or testing operating policies before implementing them, is possible. Thereby, you avoid encountering the common pitfalls while building and implementing new systems and processes. You can now finally achieve the improvements that previously took months or years of trial-and-error experimentation in a matter of days or weeks using FlexSim.
The 3D Simulation processes
In technical terms, FlexSim is classified as a discrete-event simulation software tool. This means you can use it for modeling systems that changes its state at discrete points in time as a result of specific events. Common states are idle, busy, blocked or down. Some examples of events are: the arrival of customers’ orders, product’s movement, and machine breakdowns.
The items that are processed in a discrete-event simulation model are often physical products. However, they maybe customers, paperwork, drawings, tasks, phone calls, electronic messages, etc. These items proceed through a series of processing, queuing and transportation steps in what is termed as ‘Process Flow’. Each step of the process may probably require one or more resources such as a machine, a conveyor, an operator, a vehicle or a tool of some sort. Some of these resources are stationary and some are mobile; some resources are dedicated to a specific task and others must be shared across multiple tasks. Hence, FlexSim is extremely flexible and can be used to simulate any process in any industry.
Make Better Decision and Reduce Costs
Decision makers in the organization frequently face the problem of assessing a wide range of alternative options, and selecting one based on a set of constraints and rules. FlexSim helps better decision making in the wide variety of areas such as
Facility planning and Evaluation
- Layout designing, Material Flow, Traffic Congestion, Road Lane Analysis.
- Estimating Buffer sizes, Capital investment ROI.
Evaluate picking strategies
- Batch Picking, Multi Order/ Cluster Picking.
- Front Face Picking.
Right storage systems
- Automated Storage, Pallet Racking, Block Stacking, Deep Racking.
- Pallet Flow, Push Back Storage, Drive In Racking, Mezzanine etc.
Material handling logistics
- Inbound/Outbound Material Handling Scenarios, Truck Schedules Evaluation, Cross Docking.
- Optimization cycle time analysis, throughput, utilization study for bottleneck analysis of docks and material handling systems, truck waiting times , order fulfillment, order fill rate, orders per hour.
- Demonstrate new business ideas, layout or operation flow easily with other stake holders alongwith clear statistics
Forecast Risks using simulation
- FlexSim helps in the 3D simulation multiple scenarios and analyzing the risks and performance in each. Consequently in this way it helps to reduce risks. For e.g. if a Warehouse or a DC face a lot of variation in demand and delivery, the facility manager would like to implement new ideas such as changes in process, or, adding additional resources, new machines, additional storage area etc.
- However, each of these ideas are capital intensive and risky. Consequently the question is ‘How to be confident of the decision’. Understanding the extent to which the changes or new idea can work, boundary of the design is vital.
- Simulation helps finding the limitations and risks involved in the design before implementing the ideas into the facility.
As a result of these in-built features, FlexSim Simulation can enhance your workflow process. Certainly modeling the system, avoiding common problems faced, and all this being cost effective is possible because of FlexSim Simulation.
You can also check out FlexSim to know more about the user-friendly, robust and flexible simulation tool. If you have any questions regarding FlexSim or are looking for FlexSim Simulation Services, please contact us.